I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Unlike most folks we know, we don't decorate right after Thanksgiving, but put it off up until about the second week of December. Probably pretty late by other's standards. This year is the first year we are having Christmas without our daughter......she is in the Navy. Maybe that is why I haven't been too excited to decorate.
However, by the time I got the boxes pulled out of the closet, the Christmas spirit hit me. I started out at our entrance gates and put a wreath on each one.
I then filled the window boxes with holly and poinsettia.

I fixed a wreath out of pine cones and placed it on our worn out back door.

I always have plenty of help. Salem has taken ownership of this box and is still sleeping in it as I write. Sophie is always excited and eager to learn what I am doing.

The tree is up and decorated with the many bulbs

that we have collected through the years.

These are over sized stockings that I had made for my children many years ago. The quilt fabric is out of unfinished pieces made by their great Grandmother. I made the stockings extra large to hold all of those important stocking stuffers.

I cross stitched every one's names on, along with the biblical meaning of their name. I have always thought about making new stockings, but everyone wants to keep these.
I got everything decorated,....if it didn't move, I added decoration to it. Hercules did not mind. He loves staying in the warm kitchen. So I hope that by this time, all of you have your decorating done. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!










4 comments:

LindaSue said...

Wonderfully cheerful decor - I especially like Hercules doing his holiday best to be a decoration. The stockings are beautiful - real heirlooms. Merry Merry - it has surely been cold enough around here (and my family in Midland testifies to the cold spell there also)

Paula said...

Oh everything looks wonderful, Kathleen... I'm glad the spirit hit you once you got started!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pine cone wreath on the back door. And the stockings are wonderful... I'll bet those held all kinds of goodies!!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Oh what wonderful photos! I love Sophies face ~ so sincere. And those stocking are so lovely especially knowing where they came from.

Smiles,
Lea

Deborah Friedrich said...

Oh Kathleen, I beg your pardon! How many wonderful moments and superb photos I have lost!!! All of your cute animals with Christmas ornaments!... And your pine cone wreat! It's really amazing!... Dear, I arrived a little bit later, but I wish you the most blessed Year for you and your family! Hug. Deborah/BARBANCHÊ.