I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, June 8, 2009

Vintage Aprons

A while back, I ordered a few vintage apron patterns. They have all been very used, but still in good condition.
I was drawn to this apron pattern because of the pockets in front. I am always out in the garden or yard and am constantly gathering eggs, peppers, tomatoes or even pretty rocks. This apron would be just the thing I need instead of hanging onto a pail.

I also want to make the apron with my mark on it.....embroidery of course. So I am thinking of a solid material for it, with either vintage vegetables, chickens or flowers embroidered on it.
I also like the idea that it can be made with two different prints of material. One for the front.....


and one for the back........I just love the back of this apron...don't you?



I am having a difficult time deciding on what I want to use for fabric. I really love fall and earth tone colors...... a tan pocket with chickens embroidered on it might be nice with this one.....



These two in different shades of green go perfectly together....



I love the floral print and I am thinking the solid green would be good for the pocket, embroidered with vegetables, .....or pumpkins!





I love this cheery color and I am thinking a pocket in a matching color embroidered with roses??? perhaps....






I have always loved mixing floral's or prints with plaids.....there is just something about that combination that works for me.......
Now...how about you? Do you have vintage aprons passed down from Mom or Grandmother? Do you have a favorite type of apron? What do you wear them for? Cooking, dusting, gardening?? I would love to hear.








7 comments:

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Kathleen:

I don't wear aprons, but my grandmother always wore an apron. She wore the butcher apron and only took it off to go to the store or to attend church. My mama wore aprons only when company came to eat with us. I don't wear aprons and I think the fabrics you are matching look very pretty together.

Jocelyn said...

I do wear an apron for cooking. I learned my lesson the hard way :-) I have a couple of aprons that were given to me when I got married back in the 70's. One is a half apron that I used for a while, and then put away, the other is sheer like for a party or something. Never wore that one, but I kept it. I posted it on my blog. I too like the combination of flowers and plaids. You have several great options. And I love the pattern.

Lib said...

I love aprons!

I epecially like that blue apron, as I like the way it come around from the back and is buttoned.

Can't wait to see what you decide to craft!

Paula said...

I love all the different fabrics you have there, Kathleen... but the plaids are my favorites! I love plaids of any kind.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

I love the plaids and florals and I love this blog.

Pat

I'll be putting you into my google reader!

Jane Smith said...

Those are great. I have a few vintage aprons that belonged to hubby's aunt.

I have a full length, similar to the pattern. I like it for housework. I can keep dust rags in one pocket, glass cleaning stuff in another.

I use BBQ type, or half length when I cook. I have to have something to wipe my hands on. If I don't have an apron handy, I'll tie a dish towel on my belt loops.

Linda said...

I love aprons and wear one everyday....mostly half ones. This is a neat pattern and I love the fabrics you are considering....the extra touches of embroidery would be a lovely touch...hugs, Linda