I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Isn't She Lovely?

Remember the Southern Belle I was working on last week?? Well.........
here she is! And I have to say that I really loved working on this design. The only problems I had, was deciding on the right color of floss to use on different things.
Her hair for instance....... I had decided in the beginning that I wanted her to have yellow/blond hair. However, it made her look washed out. Instead of ripping out the yellow stitching, I just whipped in a couple of colors of different browns to bring her hair out better. She has a "frost job" now........{:

The blossoms above her also do not show out so much because I picked pale pinks to represent apple blossoms. The only problems with pale colors, is that it is hard to cover up the dark embroidery lines from the transfer. But after washing, they hopefully will diminish.


The rose bud, I had to outline, because left without doing so, one could not distinguish the different petals. I also wanted the little leaves in the back ground to pop with color. I have always loved this sage green color.



I had trouble deciding on the right color of the rose and the rose bud, however, I knew exactly which color I wanted for the petunia and it worked out well! Don't you think?



The butterfly, I almost decided not to stitch, but to wash away.......now I am glad I embroidered it. I have a favorite pin I like to wear. It is a butterfly in shades of jade and gold. That is why I chose these colors.





The rose, I almost made into a darker pink or red, but with pink and red on both sides of it from the other flowers, I chose the yellow/gold instead. The Indian Blanket flower on the right side of the rose was actually supposed to be a daisy.......however, being from Texas with acres of wildflowers outside my door, the Indian blanket just fit perfectly.







And here the whole piece. I am now trying to decide on how I am going to use this embroidered piece. I could sell it, edge hemmed, to be purchased and for the customer to frame......but I am actually thinking either stitching onto a towel for a guest bathroom or a market bag for the farmer's market. What do you think? I would love to hear!







20 comments:

rustycupboard said...

she is beautiful..looks like you use more than two strands at a time. I am learning so much from you. thanks for all the help. love your site.

peggy said...

I was wondering about the strands too, tell us how many you use and if you change it with each piece. I think you picked the perfect colors. I only do words but I love the old pieces that I have and the ones that you show us. Have a happy Thursday.

Simply Me said...

She is just georgious! I love the Hair and the appleblossoms. I am so inspired by you!

Peonies & Magnolias said...

She is indeed gorgeous. Your work is so beautiful and I enjoy seeing it so much. I think a market bag would be awesome then you could enjoy using it every day. Have a great week.

Sandy

verobirdie said...

Oh I would not have thought she would come out so gorgeous. Not because of your skills but because of the pattern that I was not thrilled about. She is indeed really beautiful.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Kathleen, your lady turned out beautifully! I would have a hard time letting go of it for any purpose. Framed would protect the stitches, and if you find the right frame it would be gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you did that fast! Beautiful job. Looking forward to your crochet rugs.

Blessings,
Jilly

KathyB. said...

You finished her, and she is lovely!

Katie said...

I don't know what to do with it but I'm sure anything you do will be wonderful. Those pics are so so good to look at which I'm doing over and over. As always, I love your work.

kanishk said...

I only do words but I love the old pieces that I have and the ones that you show us.
business plan

drafter29 said...

That is gorgeous. I love the way you use colors.

staci said...

Look at all those beautiful stitches! Congrats on a gorgeous finish!!!

Shirl said...

Hello, I love your Southern Belle, your choice of colors are so pretty. I'm working on the same one. I thought she was adorable! Love all your recent posts too.
Blessings, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

Mini said...

Oh yes...she is lovely!!! Haven't been here in a while & it's wonderful catching up on all your previous posts.

papel1 said...

A very Pretty Lady. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.
Judy

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Hi Kathleen! What a coincidence!! I just posted about how much I love embroidered belles. You did a wonderful job of this fine lady. The colors are great, especially on her hair and the flowers of her dress. Love this post!
Patricia :o)

Carla Susana Guadanini Pereira said...

Olá Kathleen!
Meu nome é Carla Susana e moro no Brasil. Sou apaixonada por bordados desde de criança. Seus trabalhos são simplismente maravilhosos, parabéns!
Adorei esse projeto.
Um grande abraço

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your lovely work! Yes, keep it alive! I love and appreicate embroidery, and do a little simple work myself.

Conni said...

Perfectly beautiful stitching!

GardenOfDaisies said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your work!!!