I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Two Quilts and Another Miniature Quilt Idea

As some of you know by now, I love to make miniature quilts.
I also love this quilt block................commonly know as the Ohio Star, I just changed the regular square blocks into 9 patch, and now I call it the Ohio Star/ Nine Patch. I have also reduced the pattern and have made a miniature quilt out of this pattern.......(seen in earlier posts). Now I am using the regular size pattern (the block I stitched, pictured above), and am hoping to make a regular size quilt. I am hand stitching all of it.....so it will take some time.
I also have a love for the old vintage patterns. I have a small book with such patterns......like the double wedding ring and this.........pictured above, which I put together this week, .....titled.......Friendship Dahlia. I am also making a regular size quilt, using this pattern, but have a different idea for a border, which I will show much later on. But in working with this delightful pattern, I know it would be perfect for a miniature quilt. So this week, I will be working on other embroidery designs and also scaling this pattern down to a miniature pattern.
How about you? Have you ever come across a patten and wind up changing either the design or the size? I would love to hear!



3 comments:

Auntea said...

Your work is so lovely. I also love to hand sew, it is so soothing. I also enjoy embroidery. I combined the two into a crazy quilt for my Granddaughter when she was born. I tatted trims, I embroidered a ton, and the result was very original and full of memories for her and for me. Thanks so much for sharing your work, it is encouraging to know there are others who share my love for handwork.

Latane Barton said...

You are one talented lady. The embroidery is just enchanting so guess what I did.... I bought me some of those pencils to shade in color on the embroidery that I do. You have me convinced that I can do it, too. We'll see.

staci said...

Beautiful quilting! That second block is gorgeous!!!