I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Thursday, March 3, 2011

I recently had a visit from a friend................

from way back in my childhood................we spend these times catching up on each other's busy lives, but also reflecting...............

 on the fun times we had and the dear people we knew back then. One dear person, was her grandmother,
Lila Josephine. This is a vintage dresser scarf that my friend found in her grandmother's things, and brought to me.
I love to look at vintage embroidered linens. It's wonderful to see the colors they chose...........and I wonder.........which colors would I have chose for this design?
These look perfect, don't you think?


My friend and I would spend just about every Saturday night in our teen years, with her grandmother. We would watch the Grand Ole Opry on television, and wake up the next morning to go to church together. To this day I am in search of a church and a pastor just like the one we went to back then.

As you can see, this has been dated. I am going to carefully get the rust stains out of this piece, but I am going to be careful to not wash out the date. I am just delighted to have this piece, not for the date, not just for the embroidery............but because of who it belonged to and who it is tied to.
Thank you, Jane.  I'll treasure it always.

5 comments:

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

These are the best kind of linens to keep. Lucky you!
Patricia :o)

staci said...

What a beautiful treasure...both the dresser scarf and your memories!

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a beautiful, heartfelt gift!

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Yikes!!!! I somehow missed some posts here, and I REALLY MISSED some great reading!!!! I loved the dresser scarf --- but loved your heart even more. Staci is right, beautiful treasures to keep forever! Loved your post about the words with the pictures of the rocks. Just beautiful!!!!! Love you!!!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Oh, Kathleen, what a wonderful visit you had with your friend. It was great to talk about the memories of this precious lady. The scarf sure is beautiful. What lovely stitching.