I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

One little french knot or basic stitch does well..........

in fact, I simply followed the lines I was given in any embroidery design when I first started my journey of embroidery work.................
The photo above is from Aunt Martha's hot iron transfers....Birds Galore.....
and I embroidered it exactly the way the design was  printed..............

(click on photo for more detailed view)
but something deep inside of me stirred and I knew I wanted to see more...........
color..........
more life.........
.and I started adding just a few more stitches.
Above is the same design, yet I put a little extra time into finishing it and a few more stitches and color.

 In the process of working extra stitches..........

(click on photo for more detailed view)
I added French knots..........where none were marked or expected to be.
 Where I once thought French knots were only good for the center of daisies or perhaps a bird's eye...........I realized that when done in clusters, they could add a whole new dimension to embroidery and they fill up blank  spaces.

Some have told me in the past, that they find working French knots a little complicated.
Here is a link that for instructions on making a French knot that I think will be helpful.
If I could give you a lasting message on this embroidery blog..........it would be......
Get creative!
Let your imagination and what you really like to see come to life.
Think outside the design.
How about you? What is your favorite kind of stitch and why?
I would love to hear.

18 comments:

Nicola said...

I love French knots. It's so nice when you stitch a piece to be inspired enough by it's beauty to add your own touches. Then it is truly yours.

Kristen King said...

I love french knots and I love what you have done with this! How inspiring! Oh now to get something out and start working on it. You made those Aunt Martha patterns seem interesting and exciting with just a little extra! :)

Peonies & Magnolias said...

I love how you finished your bird, it is so beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful new year.

Sandy

lil red hen said...

Wow!! what a difference since you've filled in the design! This thought never crossed my mind; maybe I'll give it a try. I'm afraid I don't have a favorite stitch; I mainly do the outline stitch, French knots, lazy daisy, and of course the blanket stitch when I do applique.

I have some sweet cherubs for the days of the week I'd like to do.

Cindy said...

I just love the filled in version! The other is nice, but when you spend more time with it- WoW! The bird is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your lovely work.

Hill Top Post said...

Kathleen, your work is so beautiful...makes me think of the fabulous work of Joanna Reed. Thinking this, I went upstairs to see if I could find magazine articles I have kept about her...and there it was with a marker in the Oct. 1986 Country Home magazine. I had also saved pages torn from some unknown magazine (Victoria, I think) that features some beautiful pictures of her work. And, as you probably know, she was not only an embroiderer, but also a gardener...sound familiar? She says, "I cannot sit and do nothing. When I stitch I feel at peace. My mind is clear; it is a luxury to let my thoughts wander and flit." Still sound familiar? Her crewel curtains that depict the seasons were featured in the Jan., May, and October 1990 issues of Victoria.

Karen said...

The embroideries are so different from each other but both are beautiful in their own way. Very imaginative!

Mosaic Magpie said...

How cool is this! I would have never thought of filling in the design!
Deb

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Thank you so much for posting this piece, especially the original stitching and then how you enhanced it. I'm just getting back to hand embroidery and wondering why I ever put it aside.

I absolutely love your work.
xx, Carol

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Wow! What a difference. The added stitches and french knots really do make the piece so beautiful and colorful. I don't mind doing french knots. Right now I am actually cross-stitching with yarn on 8 count aida which I've never used before. The good news is I don't need my reading glasses to work with it. :) Hope you are having a great week. Tammy

MeganH said...

Just lovely!!!

Anonymous said...

Kathleen! Superb, indeed!!! What a difference. You are amazingly creative.

My father was the one who taught me to do french knots. A precious memory.

Have a glorious day,
Marianne

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, though I don't have too much time lately to visit I do think of you often. I am still enjoying the pillowcases you made.

Wow!!! I never would have thought to fill in the design the way you did. It is so beautiful.

blessings, jilly

A Colorful World said...

You are so GOOD! I mean, your work is amazing! You are very, very talented, and I love looking at your wonderful creations! This one is delightful, and thanks for the tips!

Claudia/Ompompali said...

This is so very beautiful and thanks for showing the pics both ways. May I ask which thread you use?

Gina E. said...

Kathleen, your little bird is absolutely exquisite. I have never got any further than stitching the outlines as you did when you started out, although if I have a pattern that gives explicit instructions on what stitch to use and which colour, I will follow those instructions to the nth degree! No imagination in my grey matter, but that's okay.

Flora said...

Your color selection never goes wrong, and this is one proof.

The Tea Lady's Journal said...

Taking your work from stitching on the lines; to filling in and adding so much detail.....beautiful!