I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, February 27, 2012

The stitching is finished and the cut work


has been completed. As you remember from my last post, I had shown you how to work eyelets easier. Now I will show you how to work"cut work" after you have embroidered the design in closed buttonhole stitch. If you are unfamiliar with the closed buttonhole, you can research it easily on the Internet.

After all stitching is in place, use a very sharp pair of embroidery scissors and make a small hole in the area to be cut with the point of scissors.

Carefully and slowly cut small cuts at a time,  the blank area that you wish to cut away, staying on the edge of embroidery stitches and taking care not to cut any stitching.  Cut underneath the embroidered bar across cut work area.

Carefully cut out the entire cut work area. Don't worry. If you accidentally cut your stitching. Stop cutting and go over the damaged area with the same color of floss worked and simply work the closed buttonhole stitch over it until it has been repaired.


Now one section has been cut away,

Continue cutting the remainder sections away, always looking out for your stitch work.

A completed cut work rose.
Now for those of you who told me you were afraid to cut on your work..........
I used to be the same way. Before you start a project, just make a sample piece on a scrap piece of fabric and embroider it and work the cut work. Once you get the hang of it, I promise you will be fearless in this technique!!!
Trust me!

Here they all are in the group, with the center of the leaves cut away as well.

Now here is the completed piece.
Doesn't cut work make a difference compared to basic embroidery?
This is what I love to do in embroidery work. I love to create linens, brand new for the home, with the vintage look of "yesteryear" but can be used every day................
today!
So come on blogging friends...........
grab you scissors and just take the big step snip!

16 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

wow! That cutwork really does make a huge difference in the finished piece. Absolutely beautiful! Have a great week. Tammy

Anonymous said...

Just lovely, Kathleen! Thank you for the lesson in cutwork. I truly hope to one day give it a whirl. And I agree with Tammy, it certainly makes a huge difference..that is it lends a completely different sort of 'look' to the whole piece.

I also viewed your previous post on how to make eyelets more easily. Very interesting indeed.

I like some vibrant colors, but am more attracted to the soft muted colors and the pastels. To me they are more serene, yet cheery at the same time.

Blessings today and everyday,
Marianne

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I adore linens and embroidery. Hope to be doing more soon.

Stopping by from ECS.

Betty Lou said...

Your rose cut work is so beautiful, you must have to have a steady hand when cutting. Just lovely.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathleen, What a beautiful project and your cutwork is stunning. I also love to do embrodiery and other stitch work when I am not painting.

Your blog is lovely and I have so enjoyed my visit. Thank you for sharing what you are doing in your studio.
Hugs from Texas,
Celestina Marie

Bev said...

I thought that was how it was done... I would be scared to cut!...looks wonderful!!

lil red hen said...

Kathleen, thanks so much for showing this technique. I've seen machine work on bought pieces, but never realized it could be done at home and be this pretty. I'd like to give this a try; but when will I have time? lol

Unknown said...

That cutwork is a great technique, thanks for sharing, I love it and will have to put it on my mile long "to do" list, thanks for stopping by my blog! Hugs Marilou

Zova couture said...

wow..so pretty..I always love cutwork embroidery..it adds more beauty to the projects..but never see hand embroidered one..most of them are machine embroidery type only.U explained it very well ..thanks kathleen..

Hill Top Post said...

This is just incredibly beautiful...love your showing us how it's done!

Conni said...

Your cutwork roses are perfectly gorgeous! And thanks for the instructions on making eyelets. I need to try that!

Farah said...

great work and how neatness you have in your hand... I love it, my mother used to embroidery like this but I never tried this .... your is fabalous... I came here via etsy cottage linky part...
Hope you will enjoy a visit at
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
With love
Farah

Cindy said...

It's beautiful, Kathleen! I have done so much embroidery, but have never attempted this. I just might give it a try.

A Colorful World said...

Really, really pretty! I agree, the cutwork adds so much! I have never done it, and you have inspired me now to give it a try! Thanks for your comment on the piggy bank!

Nicola said...

Thank you for sharing. I have wanted to do cutwork for a while it's just getting the courage up to weild the scissors.

janice15 said...

So very beautiful the cutting work. Thank you for sharing now I know how it's done...with love Janice