I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, December 19, 2016

In the top kitchen drawer, I have

kitchen towels, kitchen rags, and kitchen dishcloths.
I have some towels that are so pretty, I only use them for hanging in the kitchen,
others I use for drying dishes, and then there is a stack of rags and more worn
dishtowels that I use for heavier jobs ...such as scrubbing and hard cleaning.


Once a year......usually at this time........I stop to make myself a pile 
of new hand crocheted  dishcloths.  I have often made these to give to friends and family  as well.
Some think they are too pretty to use.......and never use them......
some do not like the difference in how they feel to wash dishes with ..........and never use them
but others.......like myself, use them constantly

until they fade and wear out.  
How about you?  Do you love to use them......
or do you prefer the regular dish cloths?

I am now stocked up and ready to use these. 
These are just the first of things I want to make for my home.
I hope to make more crocheted, hand embroidered, 
and quilted items for.........each room of the house. 


If you remember..........I posted this a little while back.
It is a paint by number kit that I found in a junk store. 
The containers of paint were dry and caked........but I soaked them for a week with water 
and kept stirring them.........then started painting.

I finally finished the painting the other day!  I think paint by number
is one of my new favorite things to do.  
So what are  your creative plans for the new coming year?
I would love to hear!

12 comments:

Sandra said...

I have a stack of kitchen towels. Some for show and some to use. I love adding to the pile by cross stitching and embroidering new ones. I have never tried the crocheted or knitted ones. I would probably think they are too pretty to use! I love your paint by numbers kit. It is beautiful. A great new craft idea. Wishing you a new year full of doing all your favorite things.

Bev said...

I don't like the heavy knit/crochet dishclothes... I have one made from fine yarn and I love it!! Love that paint by number...haven't done one for years!! That would be fun.

Debra said...

That is the most beautiful paint by number I have ever seen....wish the company would re-make that one!Merry Christmas!!!

mamasmercantile said...

I love to use crochet cloths and have a stack, I also crochet some for gifts along with a soap. I was impressed by your paint by numbers, my daughter used to do them. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

Unknown said...

I just my first crocheted dish cloth from my girlfriend and really like it. I only have one so I have to use the standard dish cloths. Your painting is pretty. I love flowers. Happy Holidays.

Marianne said...

Merry Christmas, Kathleen! Ha! yes, I'm one of the "too pretty to use" dishcloth ladies...LOL! I've never used the one you made me for washing dishes, but I display it in my kitchen with the pretty quilted square, and also use it to lay something hot on or other general uses. They always remind me of you.

Joyful wishes now and for the new year,

Marianne xox

Marianne said...

P.S. The paint by number painting came out beautifully!

Sherri Farley said...

I love the crocheted dish cloths. I have a small hand and also have arthritis, my step sister made me smaller round ones that are perfect for
......I never use anything else. They are machine washable too. Very pretty paint by number pansies! Merry Christmas to you and yours, and best wishes for the coming year

lil red hen said...

I do use a few of the knitted dishcloths, but prefer a smaller cloth.
The paint by number picture is a beautiful one; my girls use to do this craft.
Merry Christmas!!

Linda said...

Beautiful paint by number! And I only recently started using the knitted dish cloths...and I like them! Merry Christmas to you. :)

Sue said...

That painting is gorgeous!

A Candle to Read By said...

Love your painting! I made some wash cloths for my sister in law this year. She seemed to really like them, and i encouraged her to use them.