I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Another year of stitching, creating, and dreaming, has come to an end

and I find myself looking over at what I  finished, and 
pondering on whether I achieved all I had hoped.
Here is a glimpse back over the things I made this past year 2017
I love to embellish clothing with hand embroidery


I love to restore lovely embroidered linens that
that have had their original embroidery worn out

I love Victorian ladies and  wanted to thread paint
one with my hand embroidery


the flowering trees are so beautiful this time of year,
I had to design and embroider my own version

I love the ladies illustrated on old dress patterns,
and made a "pattern lady" by appliqueing and 
hand embroidering her 

a lovely vintage coat made me want to hand
embroider roses on it

hand embroidered dish towels and matching hand 
crocheted dishcloths took up 2 months 

of time for making Christmas gifts and items for
my shop


a lovely vintage design that I just had to embroider

I restored and made clothing for a vintage Horsman doll
for my great niece's birthday

I started hand crocheting snowflakes in October and 
finished them November to send to friends and loved 
ones in Christmas cards

for our holiday table, I gathered our backyard pinecones and 
made miniature Christmas trees out of them 
As I put the Christmas tree away, I am already focusing my 
attention on my work box.......which is waiting........over-full of things 
I want to stitch, to paint, to create...........
not sure as to what I will start to work on this new year............
Tell me, what have you accomplished this year in your dreams and creations?
What are your dreams and plans for the new year?
Farewell, Old Year! the rustle of whose garment,
      Fragrant with memory, I still can hear:
      For all thy tender kindness and thy bounty
      I drop my thankful tribute on thy bier.
What is in store for me, brave New Year, hidden
      Beneath thy glistening robe of ice and snows?
      Are there sweet songs of birds, and breath of lilacs,
      And blushing blooms of June's scent-laden rose?...
~Julia B. Cady (d.1869), "New-Year Thoughts," in Sabbath at Home, January 1870
Wishing you a very blessed new year!

9 comments:

lil red hen said...

You have certainly accomplished a lot this past year! Your beautiful work is always an inspiration to me to try to do better. Looking back on my work ~ paper piecing took a lot of my time, a baby quilt, crocheted baby blankets, embroidered dishtowels, ~ I guess I did more than I thought! :0

happyone said...

You do beautiful work!!
My favorite is the blouse!! Beautiful.

mamasmercantile said...

What a lot of beautiful work you achieved. We fulfilled our dream of moving to the Isle of Lewis, I am now hoping that the barn will be converted into a craft room. A lot of crochet items were completed. Best wishes for the New Tear.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What lovely work you did this year! 2018 will be a year of more beauty to create and share.

Have a wonderful new year ~ FlowerLady

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the pattern lady and wanted to try to make one...maybe this year. The doll and her pretty new dress is so very sweet and of course the snowflakes and everything you make! I better get back to sewing this coming year! Holiday hugs!

letslearnembroidery said...

Wishing you a merry Christmas and a happy New year

R's Rue said...

Love.

Debra said...

Oh my...your work is always a joy to see. Happy and healthy new year to you!

Gina E. said...

Congratulations on a year well spent on creating such beautiful things! If I went back through my blog I suppose I would see that I have achieved quite a lot, but it is mostly patchwork these days, as my fingers are not as nimble as they used to be, with arthritis and more recently tendonitis (so my doctor says) in my right hand, which I suspect has been caused by too much tapping on the Ipad..
Happy New Year!